Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Here is my story!

My name is Erin Velez, I am a 27 year old morbidly obese woman. As of today I weigh 345lbs. My highest recordable weight was 465lbs. I have lost 120lbs to date.
My weight loss attempts start as early as 10 years old. I remember being heavier than all my friends and family. I was in third grade and I had a spring musical concert. We were to dress up and I was so used to my over sized T-Shirts and sweats. My pride was shattered when I fit into my step mothers dress. After that my mother took me to my family doctor. He made several insults to me. He would tell me eat one plate not two and don't steal your sisters food. These were very hard words to hear at such a tender age. He then prescribed me Redux and if I can remember I was 12 years old. Taking that medicine made me sick and I gained weight with it. When I was 14 my grandmother surprised me with a trip to Camp Shane (Shame). I hated it there, it was pure torture. I lost an unhealthy 40 lbs. in three months. After coming home I was unable to keep up with their vigorous work-out I ended up gaining back all the weight as well as tons more. Entering 9th grade I was 300lbs. I maintained a weight between 300 and 330 lbs until I graduated. All possible by, not eating (which didn’t last long), cabbage soup diet, egg and meat diet, liquid diet, and weight watchers. During high school I got into a relationship. He too was obese, and we ate and ate. I got up to 360 within the next year.  I got up to 465 lbs. Then, with the help of a friend I started the Atkins diet and lost 100 lbs. After a year on Atkins I went off and gained it all back. I needed your help! I was afraid to fall asleep some nights not knowing if my heart will make it to the morning.

I decided that I had to start losing weight all over again, but this time in a healthy way. I reduced my calories and began to workout. My doctor prescribed me Adipex to suppress the hunger. The pill plus my new food eating and exercising habits have helped me lose the new 120lbs. I am still significantly overweight and I have to fight this battle for the rest of my life.
There has been some many things that I wanted to so but was too afraid because of my weight. I have always hoped to be able to the the basic things that people do in their everyday life. I am in the process of creating a list of "MUST DO's" Some of my goals are going to and finishing school. Start my own business. Traveling the world, starting a family and being able to run a marathon!. I want to maintain a healthy relationship with food. Be happy and know that when I fall asleep I will awake in the morning. I do not blame anyone else for my weight. I know when I hit the fridge what I am doing to myself. Now Im taking a stand and putting my foot down and making a choice that will impact the rest of my life. I hope that my story can help you relate!

9 comments:

  1. Your story is very inspirational. I am so proud of you Erin. Keep up the good work. I love you. I support you in all that you do. I hope you know that you can lean on me during the rough times to give you strength and encouragement.---Tammy J :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin this is wonderful keep at it girl, you can do it and I know it. I wanna see you through this every step of the way. I have known you for years and have seen the transformation. You are beautiful inside and out no matter how much you weigh. When you are ready to do the marathon count me in, I will do it with you. I am losing weight myself because I too a, considered obese. I love my healthy lifestyle and i'm glad to know you are striving towards a better and healthier you. Good luck, Love Moe

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have arrived my dear, no longer trapped by the chains of the weight...keep it up ma *muah*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Alyse...your comment made me smile and is inspiring me to write my next blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I just access WW at facebook and click your blog. Your story is remarkable, I just started and your story make me think that it is possible. I don´t have your kind of condition but anyway I am not happy the way a look and others look at me. You are special and an inspiration, you have lost 120, I just have lost 8 lbs, but it means that there are people trying and writing about it to share their success. God Bless you and Keep on Losing it and Writing about it, I will be reading it.
    C. Maldonado (PR)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI honey this is E,
    WOW erin is all i can say that is so moving and i just want you to know u are a true inspiration to me and im sure many others. thanx for your for selflessness in sharing your story, bravery and determination. i know i have no excuse and it is hard to do it alone but its even harder not doing it at all. so i know where you are coming from. i just stick to baby steps and after my last bout with my blood pressure that landed me in the hospital i began walking a mile a day and trying to eat better it takes time but you will do it good luck and stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. C.Maldonado...thanks for coming to my blog and showing me you care. I am very thankful for your kind words and support. It doesn't matter if it is one pound or one hundred pounds it is still a struggle. I am at a stand still now so I know exactly how it is to need and hope for just one pound. BTW...My family is from P.R. with the same last name...maybe we are related?

    ReplyDelete
  8. E!!!!

    Girl I have missed you! Thanks for soming on here and showing me some love it is greatly appreciated. I am always here for you....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow baby cousin!! I didn't know of some of your feelings on your weight until now. My eyes just teard up. I must say your my inspiration to lose 20lbs before Stephs wedding! I know if you can lose 100lbs+ then 20 should be nothin for me ma!! You are very smart and beautiful,also my favorite,Lol!! I can't find the words to describe how proud I am of your strength and courage to do this!! You have my support 100% ma. I love You,Jessi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your time.