Sunday, May 30, 2010

Love your body and your mind!

Well……



I have some exciting news. At least for me! But maybe for others that set little goals for themselves and when they reach them they feel great!


When I started my diet I was in a size 32 tightly. Today I went to the store and bought my first pair of baby phat jeans…at size 24!!! Yippee….I am extremely excited about that. The size that I would initially like to be is a 16-18. That way I can wear clothes in regular and plus –sized shops. I would love to incorporate both of the size fashions together and make some new looks. I am happy to day that I am finally beginning to truly see the hard work that I do is finally paying off. For me after being at the weight I was at for so long it is hard for It is hard me look at myself and see myself in any other light. Honestly, sometimes I feel like it will take years after I lose my desired weight to see myself without some type of body image dysmorphic. If you have never heard about this please read below it is a little info I found on Wikipedia.


Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (previously known as Dysmorphophobia[1] is sometimes referred to as body dysmorphia or dysmorphic syndrome[2]) is a (psychological) Somatoform disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features (body image). Depending on the individual case, BDD may either be a somatoform disorder or part of an eating disorder or both: BDD always includes a debilitating or excessive fear of judgments by others, as is seen with social anxiety, social phobia and some OCD problems; or alternately may be a part of eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and compulsive overeating. Although the term "body dysmorphic disorder" itself describes only those excessive social acceptance fears that relate to one's personal body image. Depending on the individual it may or may not also be part of one of these wider or related syndromes.


The sufferer may complain of several specific features or a single feature, or a vague feature or general appearance, causing psychological distress that impairs occupational and/or social functioning, sometimes to the point of severe depression and anxiety, development of other anxiety disorders, social withdrawal or complete social isolation, and more.[3] It is estimated that 1–2% of the world's population meet all the diagnostic criteria for BDD (Psychological Medicine, vol 36, p 877


Symptoms


Common symptoms of BDD include:
Obsessive thoughts about (a) perceived appearance defect(s).


Obsessive and compulsive behaviors related to perceived appearance defect(s) (see section below).


Major depressive disorder symptoms.


Delusional thoughts and beliefs related to perceived appearance defect(s).


Social and family withdrawal, social phobia, loneliness and self-imposed social isolation.


Suicidal ideation.


Anxiety; possible panic attacks.


Chronic low self-esteem.


Feeling self-conscious in social environments; thinking that others notice and mock their perceived defect(s).


Strong feelings of shame.


Avoidant personality: avoiding leaving the home, or only leaving the home at certain times, for example, at night.


Dependent personality: dependence on others, such as a partner, friend or family.


Inability to work or an inability to focus at work due to preoccupation with appearance.


Decreased academic performance (problems maintaining grades, problems with school/college attendance).


Problems initiating and maintaining relationships (both intimate relationships and friendships).


Alcohol and/or drug abuse (often an attempt to self-medicate).


Repetitive behavior (such as constantly (and heavily) applying make-up; regularly checking appearance in mirrors; see section below for more associated behavior).


Seeing slightly varying image of self upon each instance of observing a mirror or reflective surface.


Note: any kind of body modification may change one's appearance. There are many types of body modification that do not include surgery/cosmetic surgery. Body modification (or related behavior) may seem compulsive, repetitive, or focused on one or more areas or features that the individual perceives to be defective


This can be a very trying and difficult mental disorder. If you have any of these issues or symptoms you need to speak to a professional. BDD can cause co-morbidity. Also remember that not all cases are severe as above. Some people will just always see themselves as fat even if they are not.

Please remember that your mind has to be sound and strong or the food additions will surface again.

1 comment:

  1. MJ had body dysmorhia. Congrats sexy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your time.